Children’s God Plunge (Baptism)
We are so excited that your child is considering taking the God Plunge at MyChurch. We encourage parents to talk with their children about taking this step and we want to equip you with some information that will help you have a successful conversation with your child.
We believe every child can have a personal relationship with Jesus. In MyKidz, we encourage and give opportunities for children to make a decision to follow Jesus. The one requirement for baptism is belief in Christ! It is important for your child to understand what it means to be a Christian. They need to understand:
1. That God loves us.
2. That we have all sinned.
3. That Jesus died for us.
4. That we can choose to live for him.
It is also important for your child to understand what it means to be baptized. Here are some important things your child needs to understand:
1. There is a difference between salvation and baptism.
2. We are not Christian because we are baptized, but we are baptized because we are Christian.
3. Baptism is an outward demonstration of what happened inside the heart – salvation.
Here are some great questions to help you discern if your child is ready to take this step:
1. Why do you want to be baptized?
2. What does it mean to be baptized?
3. When did you decide to follow Jesus?
Once your have talked with your child you will most likely be able to discern if they are ready to be baptized. Please let your child’s MyKidz small group leader know if you need some help or if you would like them to talk to your child as well. If you do not feel that your child is ready, it’s totally appropriate to wait. Remember, baptism does not save– that is done by your child trusting Jesus.